While having a dance background or some form of familiarity ballet will certainly be beneficial when it comes to these workouts, it's not essential and the basics can be picked up easily. This handy video will teach you everything you need to know about the five ballet positions, and here are the main techniques that will come up in most workouts:
- Plié: Bend your legs at the knees, making sure your knees turned out over your toes.
- Tendue: Extend the leg away from your supporting leg with your toes pointed. Your feet should be lightly tapping the ground.
- Port de bras: Bend your upper body and arms.
- Arabesque: Standing on one leg while extending the other, turned out.
- Battement: Move the working leg outward from the body, and in again.