Lying Spinal Twist
The Lying or Supine Spinal Twist stretches all through your back for an amazing release and flexibility booster. "It also allows gravity to do most of the work for you, so you can't really mess it up!" said Cat Aldana, founder of Eat Stretch Nap and yoga instructor at JW Marriott Chicago. For an extra hamstring stretch, she recommended straightening your crossed leg and reaching for your toes with your outstretched arm.
- Lie on your back, bending your knees into your chest.
- Extend your arms out in T-position.
- Slowly lower both knees to the right. Rest them on the ground, and turn your head to the left. You can increase the stretch by crossing the left knee over the right thigh.
- Hold here for at least five breaths, feeling your spine lengthen and twist. You may even hear some "cracks."
- Use your abs to lift your knees back to centre, then repeat on the other side.