Positioned between the team's defenders and forwards, midfielders excel at ball handling and passing skills — and knowing exactly when to pass and to whom. Midfielders are also responsible for stopping or slowing down opponents and preventing them from reaching their team's last defencive line.
There are six midfielders on the US Team:
- Morgan Brian, who was the youngest player on the 2015 World Cup Team
- Julie Ertz, the 2014 NWSL Rookie of the Year who also competed in the 2015 World Cup
- Lindsey Horan, who made headlines when she skipped collegiate soccer and is currently a star player on the Portland Thorns
- Rose Lavelle, who is making her World Cup debut this year
- Allie Long, who established herself as a force to be reckoned with at the 2016 Olympics where she started in three out of four games
- Samantha Mewis, who lead the North Carolina Courage to victory in 2017 and 2018