It's impossible not to be transfixed by Oprah. With a big heart, sharp mind, calm demeanour, and a whole lot of passion, the TV personality has collected the hearts of millions over the years. Not to mention, where she began is entirely baffling compared to where she is now. Ahead are 10 facts about the lifestyle guru that will only increase your respect for her. In short, she's beyond legendary.
- Oprah comes from a small town. She's one of the biggest celebrities in the world, but her roots are humble. According to her bio, Oprah was born in Kosciusko, MS, in 1954.
- She got her start in Nashville. After adolescence, Oprah moved in with her father, Vernon, who lived in Nashville. She attended Tennessee State University, and she started working in TV and radio.
- Her show made big bucks from the get-go. The Oprah Winfrey Show grossed US$125 million after its first year, and Oprah made US$30 million. Not a shabby pay-cheque.
- She ran a marathon. Because of course she did, right? In 1995, Oprah finished the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC.
- She co-founded Oxygen Media. You know the channel. Yes, Oprah co-founded it, and its mission is to produce content for women.
- She made sure her show stayed classy. In the mid-'90s, shows began turning to tabloid topics, but Oprah pledged to keep her show free of trashy subjects. We'd say she made good on her promise.
- She worked with Disney. She signed a multi-picture contract with the entertainment giant, and she starred in the 1998 film Beloved.
- She was nominated for an Academy Award. After playing a supporting role in Steven Spielberg's The Colour Purple, Oprah was nominated for an Academy Award.
- She's the richest African-American female. And she's entirely self-made. Get it, girl.
- Her charity has raised a TONNE of money. Oprah's Angel Network has raised more than US$51 million to be exact, which kind of proves that she herself is an angel. But we all already knew this, right?
Image Source: Everett